Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: G.E. top load washer leaking from overflow tube when agitating  (Read 1663 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician

Hey everybody,  I ran into a G.E. top load washer model no: WJRR4170G1WW & serial no: TM915242G that leaks water out of the overflow tube if the large or super large water level is used.  I checked the amount of water that fills in the wash tub and it does not seem to be overfilling.  Also the wash tub is not spinning while agitating.  I have seen this a couple of times before and have told the customer not to use the large size but I know there is something wrong.  Has anyone else run into this problem and if so what did you do to correct it.  Thank you very much, Tom

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
Re: G.E. top load washer leaking from overflow tube when agitating
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
Bad Mode Shifter? That causes the tub to slosh back and forth with the agitator. Pull the front panel off and look.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »

Hey everybody,  I ran into a G.E. top load washer model no: WJRR4170G1WW & serial no: TM915242G that leaks water out of the overflow tube if the large or super large water level is used.  I checked the amount of water that fills in the wash tub and it does not seem to be overfilling.  Also the wash tub is not spinning while agitating.  I have seen this a couple of times betold the customer not to use the large size but I you do to correct it.  Thank you very much, Tom
Hey everybody,  I ran into a G.E. top load washer model no: WJRR4170G1WW & serial no: TM915242G that leaks water out of the overflow tube if the large or super large water level is used.  I checked the amount of water that fills in the wash tub and it does not seem to be overfilling.  Also the wash tub is not spinning while agitating.  I have seen this a couple of times before and have told the customer not to use the large size but I know there is something wrong.  Has anyone else run into this problem and if so what did you do to correct it.  Thank you very much, Tom
If its as you say and the tub is not spinning when agitating.They maybe using to much soap.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:31:14 PM by dab147315 »

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »
Thanks, I'll check to see if the wash tub is moving while agitating.  I know I can see it with the front panel off.  I'll let you know when I go out there.

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:19:39 PM »
The tub is moving a lot and clothes are getting tangled.  I priced the shaft & mode shifter assembly at $139.00 retail.  I also watched a video on You Tube on changing it and it seems like a long job.  I quoted the customer for 2-hours labor & parts.  With service call & tax I figure about $400.00.  The customer said they only paid $475.00 for the washer new.  She said they will most likely purchase a new washer (but not a GE).  Thanks for all your heap.-Tom