Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung showing wrong temp. for freezer  (Read 9323 times)

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Reges Service and Repair
Samsung showing wrong temp. for freezer
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »

Model: RF266AEPN     
I know how we all love working on Samsung fridges ::)  but could use help on this one.
Customer first called and said ice maker wasn't working unless manually cycling it...ok, sensor bad...new ice maker time; also there is water under the crisper drawers...ok, defrost drain clear out as well.  Got there and he had removed all food from freezer because it was thawing and temp. for freezer showed -2.  Fresh food temp. good.
So ice maker was not working (assuming) because cooling was not working and that's what he noticed first.  No error codes, works fine in forced manual modes.  Unplugged for about 5 minutes plugged back in and it showed 58 degrees in freezer and began cooling. 
Gave it a day and freezer cooled down to -2 on readout then nothing or at least by the time I got there my digital meter read 60 degrees.  I replace sensor on evap. coil it was a little out of spec. from temp. chart. and I had one in the van(heater and bi metal fine) and tried it for a day.  Still same thing.  My understand from the manuals is the sensor in the ceiling is an ambient sensor and not in charge of keeping temp. the one on the evap. is in charge of that.  Am I right on that?
I was going to try a new main board do you think I'm going in the right direction?  I hate throwing parts at something but not sure what's going on.  I'm going on the assumption because fridge temp. is fine and when unplugged and plugged back in freezer starts cooling the compressor and sealed system are good.  I'm at a loss, any help would be appreciated :thanks:
Oh, at least I got the defrost drain cleared out :P

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
Re: Samsung showing wrong temp. for freezer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
On the GEs the one on the evaporator is only used to determine defrost cycle. Have you checked the other one?

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Reges Service and Repair
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
The sensor in the ceiling (freezer) checked out for the temp. I read at 68 degrees at that point so left it alone. 

Offline GiGi

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
On a chance that the original poster is still active, I'll ask if the problem was resolved.  We have the same thing going on with the freezer on our Samsung french door.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »
What are your symptoms

Offline GiGi

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 03:40:57 PM »
Samsung French door RF266---refrigerator is working at correct temperature.  Since we defrosted the back panel due to the ice-up problem that plagues this model, the freezer does not work correctly.  Despite the reading on the panel temp, the actual freezer reading was really about 30F. Now, since we've removed all the frozen food, the temp in the freezer has climbed even higher....to near room temperature.  The fan is working and the compressor seems OK (from what we know!). We've unplugged, waited and plugged back in.  Tried the error test by unplugging and holding the 2 buttons, but only got the 88 88 error which mean that the power was disconnected.  This model is 6.5 years old and doesn't seem to have the diagnostic reading that the more recent models have. Thanks for any help.

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »
I'm confused on your fridge.  In one post you said the control says the freezer is colder than it really is, yet in this post you say the freezer is warmer, up to room temperature??!!!
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline GiGi

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:52:01 AM »
Thanks for your reply.
To clarify...when I set the freezer (0. -2, etc), it doesn't cool and is reading ~54. Fridge is working fine. RF266AWP.  We tested the thermistor behind the refrigerator panel when we did the de-icing procedure.  Its reading was fine.  Where is the sensor for the freezer?

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »
First thing you gotta ask is, "Is this fridge getting what it needs to cool??"  Check the frost pattern on the evaporator in the freezer.  If the frost pattern is little to none, then you either have a refrigerant leak, or a restriction.  My experience on some Samsung French doors is the heat exchanger gets restricted, and gives these symptoms.  This is because the refrigerant goes into the fridge evaporator first, and then down to the freezer evaporator.  When the refrigerant gets low, or restricted, the refrigerant never makes it to the freezer.

If you don't have the tools and knowledge for these types of repairs, it is probably best to call in the pros.  Just to test if it is a leak or a restriction requires guauges, hoses, recovery unit, refrigerant scale. . . etc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:03:41 PM by ApplianceGuru »
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline GiGi

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »
Thanks!  We will take a look at this and then proceed to Plan B!

Offline KSolo

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 09:15:15 PM »
Any update on this?  Looks like our Samsung sounds like it's displaying the same symptoms, warm freezer temp but display shows much lower.

Offline Brlux

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 12:20:55 AM »
Just an update. I had a similar problem with my Samsung RB215LABP bottom freezer unit. It would first slow and then stop making ice. All the food like ice creme would get very soft. When I would take the Freezer apart from the inside and expose the coils they would be all caked in ice. I used a blow drier to defrost them and then put it all back together. it would work for a week or two before the problem would repeat.

The real problem ended up being the thermo fuse which is in line with the defrost heating elements had gone bad. Once that was replaced it has been working great.

Offline ebby

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »
First thing you gotta ask is, "Is this fridge getting what it needs to cool??"  Check the frost pattern on the evaporator in the freezer.  If the frost pattern is little to none, then you either have a refrigerant leak, or a restriction.  My experience on some Samsung French doors is the heat exchanger gets restricted, and gives these symptoms.  This is because the refrigerant goes into the fridge evaporator first, and then down to the freezer evaporator.  When the refrigerant gets low, or restricted, the refrigerant never makes it to the freezer.

If you don't have the tools and knowledge for these types of repairs, it is probably best to call in the pros.  Just to test if it is a leak or a restriction requires guauges, hoses, recovery unit, refrigerant scale. . . etc.
Do you know what controls or separate the fridge evaporator from freezer evaporator  both are using same compressor is there any switching valve I have same problem my freezer does meet the set point temp and also my display reading wrong temp both in freezer and fried
thanks

Offline ebby

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »
I was just curious about the problem you had with freezer could you please let me know what you did to fix it ,i have same problem plus display show right temp until 30 degree when freezer temp drops to 25 display starts showing wrong temp(the temp of setpoint -8) and freezer never gets close to the setpoint which is -8 and stay on 25 as soon as changed the off set for both freezer and refrigerator temp sensor  ( lowered the sensor offset by 7 degree cooler for both  )now my freezer stay at 60 and even refrigerator would not go below 40 which it was doing that before i change the offset.
and i should add this Samsung french door with inverter compressor ,at start up would pull 5 amp and then the amp drops to .7 while compressor running .any idea thanks

Offline ebby

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:01 PM »
I was just curious about the problem you had with freezer could you please let me know what you did to fix it ,i have same problem plus display show right temp until 30 degree when freezer temp drops to 25 display starts showing wrong temp(the temp of setpoint -8) and freezer never gets close to the setpoint which is -8 and stay on 25 as soon as changed the off set for both freezer and refrigerator temp sensor  ( lowered the sensor offset by 7 degree cooler for both  )now my freezer stay at 60 and even refrigerator would not go below 40 which it was doing that before i change the offset.
and i should add this Samsung french door with inverter compressor ,at start up would pull 5 amp and then the amp drops to .7 while compressor running .any idea thanks

Offline jww317

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 01:12:51 PM »
Apparently a common problem: Samsung freezer (drawer on bottom, french door refrigerator on top) indicates the correct set temperature (-2F) but actual temperature is significantly warmer (in my case, 24F).  Refrigerator is working fine.  After 2 service calls, main control board and thermo-sensor in freezer have been replaced.  Shutting off, waiting 3 minutes and re-energizing makes the display indicate correct interior temperature.  It drops to -2F but actual temp never falls below 24F.  Power Cool does nothing.  I chatted with Samsung; no help.  The fridge is 9 years old.

After lengthy Internet research and on this site, all I could find is that one post indicated replacing the "thermofuse".  According to AppliancePartsPro, the only "fuse" available for this Samsung model is no longer available. 

This appears to be a simple problem.  It feels really awful to replace an entire appliance for what is probably a simple fix.  Any suggestions?

Offline yavuzco

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
I have the same problem with RF22K9581SR. Fridge is ok, but freezers are not cooling below 20F. After power cycle, it shows the internal temperature right which slowly and wrongly drops to set temperature but inside freezer is not such cold. I did a lot of troubleshooting and hope someone can chime in with a solution:

- Both defrost and temperature sensors read correct when the voltage is checked from main board.
- Fans run correctly
- No frosting issue in the coil. Likely the opposite as defrost sensors read around 3.5VDC corresponding to 8 F temperature
- After initial power cycle or during power cooling, both freezer fans run HIGHEST and valve keeps switching between freezer prioritizing them. I ran the freezer at power freeze over night, it is still 20F inside the freezer. Fans ran fine.

I have read similar issues in other venues without resolution. Some people replaced the main board but it did not help.  Others replaced sensors but no change. I do not think thermofuse would be an issue as I understand it is for cutting the heater off.

The only options I think of is either R134a starvation or valve failure now; leading to insufficient cooling. I will add some gas tomorrow.

Someone also said that unplugging the fridge for a few hours and removing and putting back on the main board connectors may help reset the board but unlikley.

Offline jww317

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 08:55:52 PM »
After trying to engage a "Samsung authorized repair technician" and failing -- he stopped returning my calls, probably because he said he had no idea what the problem could be -- I finally decided to listen to the Universe.  I replaced the appliance.  BTW, the problem eventually morphed into the display actually showing the correct temperature in the freezer.  On the day prior to its replacement it displayed 38d in the freezer; warmer than the refrigerator. 

I briefly considered replacing it with another Samsung refrigerator, until I saw the numerous reviewers complaining of virtually the identical problem on refrigerators that were 3 years old -- or less, I decided: no more Samsung.  9 years later and Samsung is still manufacturing refrigerators with the same problem. 

Offline yavuzco

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 08:28:59 AM »
Just to close the loop for others who may have similar problem, I put a bullet piercing valve yesterday and pressure was  significantly negative on the return line. I added R134a in small portions like 10-15 times until it became positive, mean while I used Power Freeze and Power Cooling so the valve switched between compartments. I left the freezer on Power Freeze overnight. Previously even in the power freeze, it was not going below 20-30F; but in the morning both freezers were around 0F to -5F. So seems the problem was starvation.

However, Samsung board works strangely as default I suppose. It does not show the real internal temperature of the compartments (except a little while after power was cycled) which is confusing everyone in such a problem and leading diagnostics of sensors, fans and main board even replacement of them .