Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: whirlpool classic direct drive washer leaves black grease smudges on clothes  (Read 3353 times)

Offline gennady

• VIP Member

Hi,
Those grease particles are tiny almost unnoticeable dots on the walls of the inner tab that if you swipe your fingers on will leave black smudges. And that's what gets on the clothes. I only see excess of very dark marky grease at the top of the drive tube on the bottom of the white plastic part, that sits there on top of the basket drive nut. And I have no idea if this excess is formed in recent time and what caused it. I understand that drive tube seal could be lose or the one in the centerpost. If I move drive tube up out of the centerpost there is some grease left on the tube, so the centerpost's top seal is also a bit lose. Does anyone had the exact problem and knows what is happening?
Also 1 more question - when I'm trying to pull drive tube out of the centerpost it is hitting some obstacle although it supposed to be slim cylinder shape. The exact model of the washer: Inglis XO48201. Here is the closest schematics I was able to find:
http://www.whirlpoolparts.ca/POL/upLoadModelSchematics?pdfName=XO48200.pdf&calledFrom=modelSearch

Thank you,
Gennady

Offline Bailey

• Technician
This problem is seen in dishwashers and is caused by the breakdown of a black rubber hose or gasket. My wife complained of this problem in our Jennair d/w this week. Find a way to scrape the inside of the hose between the fill valve and the tub and see if you get any black gummy material.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
either the tub bearing has failed or you have excess soap and fabric softner build up between the tubs. Run a few super hot wash cycles with Affresh tablets in the machine to help break it down.

Offline gennady

• VIP Member
Thank you gentlemen for your replies,

Bailey: there wasn't any black gummy material in the hose between the fill valve and the tub, so it's not this one.

keithvibe: there actually was an excess soap and fabric softner build up between the tubs, which I cleaned using the cloth soaked in the vinegar. We just tried small and then medium wash and so far so good. The problem came during a large wash, so we should try it at some point. As for now I'm trying to understand how that build up could cause grease particles getting into the tab. Is there any sound explanation to it?

Thank you so much,
Gennady

Offline mz3own

• Technician
Most think it is grease due to the streaking but most of the time it is not. If you take the garment and run it under super hot water in a sink and use your fingers to "agitate" the grease spot under the hot water does it go away or does it stay on the garment?
Most people do cold water washes and soap made these days doesn't always fully break down in cold water because of this it deposits between the tub and dirt and more soap deposit on top of it. Eventually it breaks free, usually during a spin cycle, and deposits on the clothing.

Offline Maintech

• Technician
  • LNM Service and Repair LLC.
Liquid fabric softeners act as lubricants in the fabric fibers, originally tallow based most are now chemically produced but still are like a dilute tallow or grease. If not properly diluted and dispensed (to much, not enough water,etc) they will build up and congeal into a greasy mess. This grease or grease like mess will darken and even turn black due to lint and/or dirt in the wash. Another problem is that Liquid fabric softners are incompatible with anionic sufacants in detergent, detergent causes the oily substances to precipitate out of the softners and this will deposit on clothes and interior of washer. Thus if the softener dispenses at the wrong time or all the detergent is not rinsed out in the rinse cycle before the dispensing then you have a problem.

All of this becomes a problem in the low water wash washers, especially if you do not have the built in softener high level rinse option. In the whirlpool line of washers several cycle selections only have a "spray rinse" sprays water while spinning. Also in the low water wash units (basically all the top loaders now) to much detergent is much more of a issue (in my estimate 95% of the population use to much detergent)  due to much less water and less rinsing action.

Offline gennady

• VIP Member
Thank you, guys, for your explanations. I'm not sure of those particles origin, but those smudges on the clothes were impossible to wash out even by hands.

Offline domain

• Technician
Great explanation Maintech!

Offline Maintech

• Technician
  • LNM Service and Repair LLC.
Great explanation Maintech!

Thanks, I just wish more customers would believe me when I try to explain the possible issues involved with fabric softeners