Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG W/D Combo leaves clothes wet  (Read 15941 times)

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Re: LG W/D Combo leaves clothes wet
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 10:28:02 PM »

The red led light on the motherboard means that there is power to the board.  Nothing is wrong with the board.

You say that the clothes are still wet and it is hot at the end of the cycle.  I had the same problem with another LG unit and this is what I found.  The drain hose in back was too long.  What I mean is the drain line looped down to nearly the bottom of the washer and then back up to the drain line.  On these washer dryer combos, during the drying cycle, the drain pump will only cycle on for 1 second and then off for 2 minutes.  Because of this, the drain pump cannot get the water out of the washer drum properly.  You will need to get behind the washer and stuff the drain hose into the drain pipe more to shorten the loop to allow the drain pump to work properly.  At least get the bottom of the loop up around half way up the back of the washer.

Be sure to check the drain filter to make sure it's clean.

Hope this helps. 
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline clman

• Technician
  • 25 Years Appliance and Air Conditioning experience
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »
Dirty voltage, a somewhat faulty part in the machine, environmental issues and crappy manufacturing could all be causing multiple pcb failures. Oh and really bad luck to.

Offline Los

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 11:46:13 AM »
I discovered the problem.  My machine has a four valve inlet assembly, AppliancePartsPros sent me a motherboard for a three valve inlet.  So the fourth valve, the dryer inlet valve, has been letting water into the dry cycle.

Thank You all for your responses and assistance - it is much appreciated!

Offline clman

• Technician
  • 25 Years Appliance and Air Conditioning experience
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 11:52:04 AM »
There's one for the books.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »

Hi Los,

Glad you found the problem, thanks for the update.  O0

I'm not sure just what part you are talking about. Could you post the part number for us?

Thanks,

Offline Los

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »
[AP4441934] which is a 4 valve cold water valve.  see pic.  APP is saying they sent me the right board for it.  However, the dryer valve is opening and closing during drying allowing water into the machine thereby wetting my clothes.  What is the purpose of this dryer inlet valve?  Why would you want water into your dryer side?  I think I will try to run the machine with just this valve disconnected...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »
Probably has to do with steam like when you used to iron clothes you kept a coke bottle full of water to sprinkle on them to help steam the wrinkles out. Who know? LOL
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
Always go outside and verify proper air flow.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
A ventless dryer needs to condense the steam into water and then pump the water out.  The cold water sprays into the condenser.  If your drain pump is working, it should never touch the clothes during the dry cycle.

Offline Los

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »
The dryer valve is for letting water into the dry cycle for steaming the clothes to prevent wrinkles - works best with fewer clothes.  If this valve is malfunctioning and allowing too much water in, then clothes never dries only gets wetter. 

This unit is does not vent to the outside.

Drain pump was not the issue has -  new drain pump.

Thanks

Offline lpilpi

• VIP Member
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 12:43:43 AM »
I am new here and have a similar problem with my LG washer/dryer combo Model WM3431HS unit.  After a cycle, the clothes are still wet.  They are not soaking wet, just more than damp.  After that happened I put the machine on "Dry Only" and noticed the timer went from 2:50 to 5 min. to 1 min. to off, all in the matter of 5 minutes!  This was done multiple times with same results.   I noticed the machine is not getting hot on the top and the clothes are not hot either  (I guess the heating element doesn't get enough time to warm up before the unit shuts down) or maybe the element isn't working

I am not getting any error codes during or after the cycle.  I removed the top of the machine and cleaned the lint inside the fan and heating assembly and also as far down the condensing tube as I could reach from the top.  I also put a 1/2" hose attached to a vacuum cleaner ("The Lint Lizard") down the condensing tube as far as I could.  I have removed lint several times over the last 6-7 years as well as replaced the fan, a pump and a leaking hose.  But, I have never removed or cleaned the bottom of the condensing tube.  Could lint at the bottom on the condensing tube cause the drying cycle to shut off after 5 minute time with no errors?  The unit seems to drain fine.   I think I hear the fan running when I put my ear to the unit. 

Should I do the diagnostic test to pin point the problem?  I would need instructions on how that's done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 05:28:23 AM »
It is possible that the condensing tube is blocked at the bottom of the tube.  You will have to go to the back of the unit and remove the screws that hold the tube against the tub.  Another way that you can clean the condensing tube is to remove the fan assembly on top and pour hot water down the tube while the drain pump is running.

Also, while you have the top off, use an ohm meter to see if the heating element is ok.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco