Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool LE9200XWW1 dryer keeps blowing the thermal cutoff  (Read 318 times)

Offline doctorx

• VIP Member
Whirlpool LE9200XWW1 dryer keeps blowing the thermal cutoff
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:12:18 AM »

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool LE9200XWW1 dryer that keeps blowing the thermal cutoff.

I've dismantled the dryer and thoroughly cleaned out all the lint, including the intake and exhaust tubes.

I've replaced the thermal cutoff, cycling thermostat, thermal fuse, high temp thermostat, heating element, and the belt.

I've checked the 5k timer resister and another 6.2k resistor I found in the control panel . I tested the temperature at the exhaust after bypassing the thermal cutoff for the test. It cycled back and forth from 125 to 155 degrees, I could hear the thermostat clicking on and off. I tried to test the timer but I don't think I did it correctly, results were inconclusive. I did run the timer on all cycles at low heat after bypassing the blown thermal cutoff and it behaved correctly on all cycles.

I am at my wits end to see what the issue is. Any help would be appreciated to solve this before I give up and haul it to the street.

Thank you

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Whirlpool LE9200XWW1 dryer keeps blowing the thermal cutoff
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:13:04 AM »
I would suspect a plugged or restricted vent.  Also, a connector that isn't tight on the thermal cutoff can also cause repeat failures. If that were the case, you would see evidence of over-heating on the wire. ( discolored/burned terminal, melted or burned insulation of the wire at the terminal)

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »

Offline doctorx

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:04:37 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies.

I vacuumed and brushed the blower housing, as far as I can tell there are no obstructions. The air comes out the exhaust with force. I'll check it again.

None of the wires or connectors in any place appeared burnt or were loose.

I'll lift the lid and have a look at the gaskets tonight.

I can take some pictures if you like.

Thanks again.

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »
Don't forget to give "all" the exhaust tubing coming off the back of the actual dryer itself all the way out to the outside of the house.  Quick way to rule out a clog or obstruction is to dry a full load of washed clothing without the exhaust tubing coming off the backside of the problem dryer.  If it completed a drying load you can then practically rule out everything "within" the dryer leaving you to focus on the venting.  You post mentioned the fact air comes out of dryer with "force" which is a good thing.  If it is impractical to run the dryer minus all the exhaust tubing you can also consider attaching just a short length of metal tubing with wife's discarded nylon stocking to catch the expelled lint.  If this also completes a drying load  then again, focus your attention to all the remaining exhaust tubing

Offline doctorx

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:08:58 AM »
Well, I think I figured out the problem. I'm a little embarrassed to post it, but one must share stupidity as well as intelligence.

I went home last night and opened the top of the dryer to check the gaskets as discussed. They are somewhat worn but not to the point of failure. I went over the path the air goes, starting at the heater housing. As you know, the intake port on the frame and exhaust port of the drum have little holes to let the air pass.

I knew the intake was clear because I had cleaned it. Hmmm... the exhaust port is inside the drum. I bent over, and to the port was stuck a couple of dryer sheets, covering it about 90%.

I removed it but I can't test and verify because I have to wait for the new thermal cutoff I ordered to arrive next week.

I swear I had checked that while looking for the problem, but apparently not. Oh well, if the dryer works ok now I'll have a refurbished dryer to use.

And no more goddam dryer sheets for me.

I'll post test results next week. Thanks for the help fellas.

Offline vunger1

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 08:59:57 PM »
ive seen this a few times, even been called out to repair a poor drying complaint/ checked and no high limit blown, checked vent outside and very little flow, went in and looked inside dryer and there it was a dryer sheet blocking the outlet on the drum, removed and repair complete!!!!!!!
sure like to do ten of those a day.