Forum Index => Chit Chat => Topic started by: stanstr on May 27, 2015, 03:10:00 AM

Title: Where do I post a question about a → Garbage Disposal ←?
Post by: stanstr on May 27, 2015, 03:10:00 AM
On the Home Page here I see Chit Chat, topics for Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, Refrigerator repair, and others, but I have a question about replacing a Garbage Disposal. Where should I post this? Hopefully, if there is a better place a moderator can move it there.

My in-laws had a leak under their kitchen sink, and when I looked there was a small hole in the disposal. I came back the next day with some #120 emery paper and some JB Weld (2 part epoxy (with Steel!)). Now, looking at it with a flashlight, I see that there is a sort of bumpy ring around the perimeter of the disposal where the hole is, that has to be rust. I sanded the area around the hole and epoxied the hole and around it. The hole was very small - maybe 1/16 inch across at the widest.

I think my patch will be ok for a while, but as the unit is rusting out it's time for a replacement. My question is: Typically, are the drain connections on disposals in the same place relative to where they mount to the sink? In other words, if I buy another brand of disposal will the drain fit (close to) where the original was? It looks relatively easy to replace the unit, but I don't want to have to do any more plumbing than I have to.

Also, this has a bayonet (I think it's called) mount. Put a screwdriver in the round slot, and turn it to release the unit from the sink. Are these also universal, the same for (most?) other manufacturers?

The disposal is a Kenmore Model 175.60101.
Title: Re: Where do I post a question about a → Garbage Disposal ←?
Post by: niobrara on May 27, 2015, 05:34:15 AM
First question, yes most are close. You can buy kits extensions cheap. Most are turned from under the sink to release. I seem to always half to force them with a large screwdriver.